Escort missions + idiot companions = a surefire equation for boredom and frustration.
• Standing in front of bullets. Far too many CoD NPC’s do that as well.
• I liked Resident Evil IV a lot, but MAN was saving Ashley’s ass a CHORE.
• No One Lives Forever. Mandatory for the wholly unique setting, but that mission was total ass.
• GTA V falls victim to this as well. It’s not that your companions are STUPID (talking the gang-up missions now, like the Kortz Center shootout), it’s that their health runs down at an unaccountably fast rate. It’s frustrating to flip back to a character, only to find they wasted your $2500 armor on… well, nobody, really. They just got shot a lot, even though they were in cover before you left them.
• Then there was Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us, which solved the problem with suicidal companions by making them invisible to enemies, and also indestructible. One solution, I suppose.
• Idiot NPCs were a major part of the TOTAL FAIL of Romero’s Daikatana. Supposedly, they were more suicidal than a clinically depressed lemming whose hot supermodel lemming wife left him for another lemming with a MUCH nicer nest, taking half their stash of food and all the kids.
Crappy escort missions? Bad game designers! NO SOUP FOR YOU!