As listed by Watch Mojo.
You’ll notice one constant in all these movies: Nearly all of them TOTALLY SUCKED. There’s a reason, it seems, why career enders actually end careers.
• I was just thinking about Mike Meyers the other day, how he totally dropped off the face of the planet. I’ve never seen The Love Guru, and contemplating it made slow suicide seem appealing. NOT the key to a healthy career, Mike.
• Of all those on the list, The Passion of the Christ is the most unfair. Jim Caviezel is a phenomenal actor (as Person of Interest shows) and he delivered a tour de force performance in Passion. More, the movie was a smash success, especially for an indie release, and so his blacklisting by Hollywood had to do with factors other than his acting, or the movie’s (considerable) success.
• Chris O’Donnell isn’t that great an actor, and utter career death is a small price to pay for helping inflict Batman and Robin on an innocent and undeserving populace.
• M Night Shyamalan had second and third and fourth chances not to suck. The Last Airbender wasn’t so much a career murderer as it was a mercy killing. “STOP HIM BEFORE HE DIRECTS AGAIN!” audiences were saying, and the movie obliged.
• Superman IV was one of the worst movies ever made. Christopher Reeve was the perfect Superman, but not even Superman could survive this bomb. Maybe if he’d have thrown it into the sun?
• I kind of like Waterworld, for reasons I can’t explain. Postman, OTOH, was a disaster, and not just because the book was way better. Easy to see why it was his career’s KO blow.
• Cutthroat Island is another movie I’ve never seen, but I’m fully willing to believe it lives down to its abhorrent reputation. Don’t worry, Gina, we’ll always have Beetlejuice.
• Cuba Gooding Jr. He’s a great actor, he deserves a comeback role. Maybe in a Marvel movie. Doesn’t matter, I’ll go see it.
• Showgirls. A movie with so much pointless, tasteless nudity friends of mine have said “You know, by the end of the movie, I didn’t even WANT to see any more boobs.” That’s a TERRIBLE thing to do to a man. Just terrible.
• Sorry kid, your performance was bad, and the movie was even worse. Look at it this way: you WEREN’T the worse thing about that movie. Maybe that’ll make you feel better.
I tell you what, with the exception of Caviezel and Gooding, those are careers that DESERVED blighting, after making those terrible turds. Maybe not killing, but certainly time off to think about what they did. Consider it the career penalty box.